The Coin Hunt

5:33 PM, Posted by WhiteYoshiEgg, 2 Comments

Wow, my third post. I hope I can keep this blog active (read: post once a day or so)...

Let's get to the topic though: I decided to show some screenshots of a hack I've been working on a bit lately. The concept is different from many other hacks: There is no goal point or key you can get. Instead, you have to collect a certain number of coins in every level to proceed (Once you get the last coin, you'll get teleported to the overworld and events are revealed). It may be inspired by Keytastrophe a bit, though.
Another special thing about this hack is...

It's in black and white! I have no idea why I did this, but it's a welcome relief in my opinion... at least you can be sure there are no horrible, eye-searing palettes. ;)
I plan on removing the level name at the top by the way, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Also, yes, the hack only consists of six levels.


Screenshots of the first three levels. Note the changed block and Koopa GFX, as well as the new status bar (it still needs some fixing here and there though). Also, there's a new counter marked with an exclamation mark, which tells you how many coins you need to collect in total (As you can see, the amount of coins you need varies from level to level).

Since I'm pretty busy working on Pokey's Adventure, don't expect this hack to be released too early, even though it's very short. If it's generally well-received, I might consider two sequels, one in NES stlye (8-bit graphics), and one in SNES style, as if it were 3 games for different consoles.

(By the way: No, I did NOT cancel Pokey's Adventure, just in case you're wondering.)
Feedback would be nice. ;)

2 Comments

Unknown @ January 23, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Oh, nice to see some screenshots from your "mysterious" side project.. :P

Anyway, those screens are quite nice, and so is the hack's concept - I'm actually making a side hack which consists on rather "puzzling" levels than long levels, too. Also, I was planning on using the black and white idea to another side project as well... bah. }:(

Also, in case you are wondering who I am, I am Broozer, from SMWC. ;)

Hadron @ January 23, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Wow! This is awesome, man! I think it's the first black and white SMW hack. You're a reformer. ^^
Hadron